Greater Springfield Senior Service has a long standing history of committed volunteers who have dedicated their time, skills, and resources to support our community. Make a difference and become a part of this amazing team.
Bilingual Spanish volunteers are needed for all our programs!
Healthy Living Group Leader
Group Leaders must have good communication skills, enthusiasm, and dependability and want to help others take back the reins of their own health and wellness. All must participate in a comprehensive training program and adhere to the fidelity of this evidence based curriculum.
Training provided for the following workshops:
- "A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns about Falling"
- "Healthy Eating for Successful Living"
- "My Life, My Health", Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
Healthy Living volunteers work in teams of two to present 6 or 8 week 2-hour workshops. The interactive, interesting, informative curricula are evidence-based. Volunteers receive three days of training.
Those interested should:
- Enjoy working with others
- Be capable of following a standardized curriculum
- Be responsible about submitting basic paperwork
- Comfortable co-leading a group.
Volunteers are expected to lead a minimum of two 8-week workshops each year.
Long Term Care Ombudsman
Would you like to advocate for one of the most vulnerable populations in our community? Volunteers with this program visit with nursing and rest home residents on a regular basis to ensure they are respected, their rights are recognized and they receive good quality of care. As a volunteer ombudsman, you can make a difference in the quality of life of a nursing home resident.
- Make a two year commitment
- Be available to attend a three day training to become Certified Ombudsman. Training topics include legal rights of residents, conflict resolution skills, physiological aspects of aging, and long term care regulations.
- Attend monthly meetings for ongoing support and training
For more information or call 413-781-8800 ext. 178
Make an investment with rewarding returns! Use your skills to help an older adult with their finances. Volunteers must be able to:
- Balance a checkbook
- Create a budget
- Meet with client at regular scheduled times once or twice a month. (approx. 3 hrs. total) to help them pay bills.
- Submit a monthly report to the Program Supervisor.
Work full time? Not a problem. You can see your client on weekends and evenings.
This is a wonderful opportunity for anyone interested in making a difference in someone's life. Training, ongoing professional support and endless appreciation are provided. We are also seeking volunteer monitors to review client records.
For more information or call 413-781-8800 ext. 163.
In need of bi-lingual volunteers.